Monday, June 9, 2008

How Beets Changed My Life

If there was one thing I hated as a kid, it was beets. I couldn't stand the look of them. Or the taste of them... although, I'm not sure I remember ever actually eating one. I just knew I would hate them.

And so, my whole life I've held to the belief that I hate beets. Until recently. I was at one of those huge salad bar restaurants and there they were. My husband loves beets, and he was heaping them onto his plate.

"Come on, try one. You've never even had one, have you?", he cajoled.

So, I did the unthinkable. I ate one.

And it was good! To think I'd been missing out all this time just because of a stubborn opinion I'd formed as a kid.

So what does this have to do with working at home? My point here is that I once felt the same way about home business opps.

When I first quit my job to stay at home with my kids, I wanted only to find a telecommute job. No business opps. No Network Marketing. No way. For reasons that escape me now, I had no desire to start a business. In fact, I had a negative impression of business opps in general. I thought most of them were thinly veiled pyramid schemes (even though I'm not sure I really knew then what constituted a pyramid scheme).

Eventually though, I succumbed to one of those "Mom's Needed!" ads and I signed up with a --gasp-- Network Marketing company. I liked their product, which had educational value for kids and I actually made a little bit of money. In fact, this is where I got the money to start my current business, 2Work-At-Home.com.

In the beginning, my husband was beyond skeptical (yet this was the very same person who convinced me to eat beets....), but after a year of toiling my efforts were really starting to pay off. I was able to pay bills. I was even able to start getting some of those extras that we wanted.

So, here I was a home business owner, even though I had started out with the firm and non-negotiable goal of securing a telecommute job. And you know what? I think I'm much happier running my own business than I ever would have been working for a company.

Who'd have thought that beets could change someone's life?

No comments: